What is First Bank Sort Code?

Many First Bank customers in Nigeria struggle with finding their bank’s sort code. This is because most of us perform the majority of our banking transactions without ever needing to supply a sort code. It only becomes a problem when certain transactions require it and you don’t have it handy.

However, if you’re a customer of First Bank, rest assured that finding your First Bank branch sort code is no big deal. In this comprehensive guide, I will demystify what sort codes are and how to find your First Bank sort code conveniently.

Clarifying the meaning of Bank Sort Codes
In banking and finance, a sort code refers to a 9-digit numeric code that identifies a specific bank and pinpoints a branch’s location. Sort codes essentially function as unique addresses for different bank branches across any country’s financial network.

When money is transferred or deposited into an account, the sort code provides key routing information to ensure the funds reach the intended destination correctly. Each bank branch is assigned its sort code during setup within the broader national banking infrastructure.

For example, First Bank's head office branch in Marina, Lagos, has the following sort code: 011152303. The first three digits are the bank's standard code, i.e. all First Bank branches have that first three digits, “011” starting their sort codes. The next digit signifies the bank’s location, while the last five digits pinpoint the exact bank branch.

In this way, First Bank – and every other bank – in Nigeria each gains a unique 9-digit fingerprint that identifies each branch to accurately transfer transactions where required. So whether you are making a transfer, paying a bill, or scheduling automated debits, inputting the proper sort code tied to your account allows seamless transactions.

How to Find Your First Bank Branch Sort Code
first bank sort code.jpg

There are three ways to go about this:

Method 1: Check Your Cheque Book
Cheque leaves issued by First Bank always have the issuing branch’s sort code in the middle. Simply locate a preprinted cheque from your cheque book and the 9-digit code will feature adjacent to the cheque number. This is the most authoritative and instant method to find your sort code.

Method 2: Contacting First Bank Customer Care
If you don’t have a chequebook, you can call First Bank’s customer service agents to help you retrieve it. You can call the dedicated helpline at 0700FIRSTCONTACT (0700-34778-2668228), 01-4485500, 0708-062-5000, or email firstcontactcomplaints@firstbanknigeria.com and provide your account details.

Method 3: Sort Through First Bank’s List of Bank Branches Across Nigeria
The third, and slightly cumbersome way of finding your First Bank Sort Code is by checking for it on a compiled list which you can view by clicking this link.

The pdf document contains a list of all the First Bank branches in Nigeria, sorted in alphabetical order. You can find the first bank branch attached to your account. The bank you’re looking for is the bank branch in which you opened your First Bank Account.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about First Bank Sort Codes
Can I Find My Sort Code on My First Bank Mobile App?

No. As of the time of writing this article, the FirstMobile app cannot be used to find your First Bank branch’s sort code. You can only find First Bank sorts codes by using any of the three methods outlined in this article.

Can I Use the Same Sort Code for All First Bank Branches?
No, you cannot use the same sort code for all First Bank branches. Each First Bank branch has its own unique sort code. This is because the sort code is used to identify the specific branch where an account is held. Using the wrong sort code can result in your transaction being delayed or even lost.

Why Do Different Branches Have Different Sort Codes?
There are a few reasons why different First Bank branches have different sort codes. One reason is to help prevent fraud. By using different sort codes, it is more difficult for criminals to intercept and redirect transactions. Another reason is to help manage the flow of transactions. By using different sort codes, First Bank can better distribute the load of transactions across its network of branches.

Conclusion
Understanding your core First Bank sort code is key to smooth transactions and preventing payment delays or errors. Consult official First Bank cheque leaves, ask customer care, or simply browse through the pdf we provided to find the sort code for any First Bank branch in Nigeria.